Prepare Your Custom App for FileMaker WebDirect
Johan Hedman, of Atatiki AB, is a FileMaker 15 Certified Developer, and he presented on preparing your custom app for FileMaker WebDirect:
More and more customers are asking for a custom app on the Internet. This session outlines 10 steps that will give you the best possible start to get your app ready for web deployment. It covers GUI files, themes, layout templates, and navigation patterns.
Some things you will learn from this video:
- Main Purpose
- Create a theme and choose icon set
- Menu and Navigation
- Create a new GUI-file
- File Security
- Create Template Layouts
- FileMaker WebDirect Techniques
- How to reach your FileMaker WebDirect solution
- Put into Production
Be sure to listen to the Q and A at the end for more good advice. And for much, much, more information on WebDirect, click here.
There may now be an easier way to implement advanced machine learning models in your projects. Google has opened up its Cloud Machine Learning to all businesses in a public beta, after a few months of testing it in private alpha. The tool makes it easier to train models at a much faster rate, and is integrated with the Google Cloud Platform. This has applications for businesses in areas such as customer support (learning how to automate responses to a variety of queries and complaints) or any kind of repetition-heavy task.
I am already thinking of ways to apply these concepts to programming. And check out the link in the paragraph above for a great deal:
Right now, you can save hundreds on the Complete Machine Learning Bundle, featuring 10 in-depth courses and over 60 hours of hands-on training to get you up to speed on the latest machine learning skills. Normally over $700, Engadget readers can get the full bundle for just $39.99 at GDGT Deals.
Click that link if you want to learn more about machine learning models.
I am excited about this update–it’s long overdue. However, when I try to download the update, there is no update to download. Instead, the link takes me to this helpful page about the improvements in this update:
FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced 15 Release Notes
This software updates FileMaker Pro 15 or FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced to version 15.0.2, and fixes bugs.
If you are unable to successfully update to FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2, search the FileMaker Knowledge Base for installation information.
FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2 include support for macOS Sierra version 10.12.
- Windows: Addressed an issue where, when using a Windows account that was different from the one used to install FileMaker Pro, files opened in the previous version of FileMaker Pro.
- OS X: Addressed an issue where, when FileMaker Server was installed on the same machine as FileMaker Pro, an alert displayed when an attempt was made to open the same hosted database using the host name and IP address.
- OS X: Addressed an issue where the application stopped working when users who were logged in with a domain account tried to view or change the permitted hosts list.
- Addressed an issue where the Get(ActivePortalRowNumber) function returned an incorrect value when used with the auto-enter field option or in a stored calculation when a new record was created through a portal.
- Addressed an issue where, after reconnecting to a hosted file while in Layout mode when the application was set to save layout changes automatically, the application did not behave as expected.
- Addressed an issue where the application closed unexpectedly when files whose current layout contained SVG icons were repeatedly closed.
- Addressed an issue where copying, pasting, or editing a popover button whose label was a merge field caused the application to close unexpectedly. Note: If the application closed unexpectedly while you were working with a popover button object, you may be able to repair the layout by recovering the file.
- Windows: Addressed an issue where layouts were not drawn correctly on a high-resolution display.
- OS X: Addressed an issue where performing a script to switch from a layout containing a tab control object caused the application to close unexpectedly.
Saving as PDF
Addressed an issue where a PDF generated in FileMaker Pro did not render JPG images when a DPI setting was internally set to 0.
OS X: Addressed an issue where generated PDF files were damaged when the FileMaker Pro file used Type 1 fonts.
The problem: There is no download link on this page. I tried the Check for Updates option in the FileMaker help menu, but that does nothing.