Here is a fairly short (17:32) video from Richard Carlton on WebDirect Printing, with good tips for those just wanting a quick overview and for senior FileMaker developers looking for the ‘gotchas’.
WebDirect does not really Print directly from a browser. What really happens is that WebDirect generates a PDF file to the web browser, which the user then prints (or saves).
Other things to watch out for:
- Be sure to allow popups on your browser or you won’t be able to print
- Set up the print options in the script (Print Current record, etc.)
- Make sure to install any fonts used in your WebDirect solution on your server
- Remember your browser will save a download only to the designated browser Download folder
- The download of the PDF will not occur until the script has been fully completed, which makes it hard to attach a file to an email, for example, unless you use PSOS to generate the PDF and email it to the user (there is an script included to show you how)
- PDF’s can be printed from Server Side Script
The free example file includes quite a few extra scripts you might find handy
Download the free FileMaker WebDirect Training Tool
Print PDF’s from FileMaker Server
If you are looking for a higher level view (and a shorter video), this video from Brendan McBride at DB Services is for you:
Now for some fun: Intel’s 500 Drone Light Show
Don’t you wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence? There’s one marked ‘Brightness,’ but it doesn’t work.