FileMaker Developer vs Consultant
James J. Wesolowski, Managing Principal and Founder of Colibri Solutions LLC, presented on the topic of FileMaker Developer vs Consultant at DevCon 2016. For those wanting to move their career or business forward, take the time to listen to this presentation and study the associated materials.
Key points in this video:
- The difference between a FileMaker developer and a consultant
- The hats a consultant wears
- Developing your consultant offerings
- Broaden your FileMaker offerings
- Process Management
- Change Management (this is a big one)
- Developing a Consulting Process
- Process, Estimates and Contracts
- PERT Project Estimates
- Total Cost of Ownership
- Understanding Return on Investment
- Client Relationship Management
- Creating long term clients
If this sounds daunting, being a consultant may not be for you.
And many FileMaker developers realize this and stick to the fun stuff (developing). Here’s my advice: Listen to this video anyway, so you can appreciate what the firm you work for has to do to win clients. And what you can do to make that easier.
And for those of you wanting to become a consultant, listen to this more than once, and take notes. It is time well invested.
Psychology and Social Engagement
I’ve been studying the use of persuasion in business (and personal) dealings, and am impressed by the amount of studies focused on this subject. Here’s a good post by Neil Patel of QuickSprout showing how to apply science to social media, using neuromarketing techniques, such as the Halo Effect. These principles also apply to a wide variety of situations, as well.
I never cease being dumbfounded by the unbelievable things people believe.
US (Polish-born) author (1908 – )