FileMaker on Amazon’s Cloud is here!
FileMaker previewed FileMaker Cloud (under non disclosure, of course) at DevCon 2016, and the reception was enthusiastic!
The formula is simple: FileMaker Server plus Amazon Web Services plus Linux CentOS = very powerful, easily configured FileMaker servers at a (mostly) reasonable price!
Some of the nontechnical features you’ll want to know:
- Minimal administrative overhead – a new admin console
- Low upfront costs – getting started is reasonable compared to alternatives
- Speedy deployment – setting this up has been well thought out and is very fast
- Instant scalability – If you have the bucks, you can take your server very far, very fast
On the down side, using AWS has a learning curve, and you will have to study it a bit:
When I started using AWS three years ago, it was like wading a through sea of hostile acronyms, and the help files and support staff were not up to par. Since then, though, both have improved tremendously. There is still a sea of acronyms (indeed, it is much larger), but setting things up is now much easier. You’ll have to deal with at least the following to tackle FileMaker Cloud:
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), or EC2 Instance
- A web service enables you to launch and manage server instances in Amazon’s data centers
- Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS)
- A service that provides block level storage volumes for use with EC2 instances
- Amazon EBS Snapshots
- Snapshots are incremental backups, which means that only the blocks that have changed are updated
- Separate data and config
- Launch a new instance, data and config will re-attach
- Tenant management
- Replaces FileMaker Admin Group
- Replaces Active/Open Directory
- Admin RESTful API
- Amazon Backup, including automated backups
- Robot DBA for proactive information (updates and such)
- Notification management
- Hard drive full – easy fix. Call the Robot DBA
- Processors overworked? Add more with the Robot
FileMaker Cloud supports the following:
- FileMaker Licensing for Teams
- Concurrency Annual Volume License Agreements
- Annual Site Licensing
And FBA members are still able to sell to their clients.
Learn from the experts
Amand Vaghela, Senior Product Manager, FileMaker, Inc. and James Qui, Director of Engineering, FileMaker, Inc. walk you through the basics, make an EC2 instance, and actually installs FileMaker Server during this demo. All while explaining licensing options, purchasing FileMaker licenses and AWS services, and much more.
If you are looking for reliable, cloud based FileMaker server services, this is the place to start.